Michael told me to give myself 30 days to NOT think about finding another job – to release myself. Even my good friend (and former colleague from another job, Greg) gave me this same stellar advice! Well it has now been 30 days and I will give you (as I gave him) an update (most of which you can follow on this blog/posts/Facebook):
- Happy Housewife? (lol) I spent a majority of that time baking, cooking, cleaning and generally staying around/in the house. Sounds depressing, all-be-it; the weather didn’t help on some occasions, but honestly THAT is who I am and what I like to do – creative putzing (as I call it). I did manage to take some walks outside too.
- Family time: my family wanted (asked & in some cases expected) my attention, but I had a hard time trying NOT to get involved (sister is going through an uncomfortable divorce – I DO support her & feel for her, but hearing the constant issues can be depressing & hard for me to try to continually hear). But I really like spending little times with them and loved seeing my mom’s smiles… I even kept her busy (sewing) some dresses for me (we are heading to the Philippines & Singapore soon) so like Bora Bora, I’ll be wearing shorts & loose dresses (Menopausal Moo-Moo?). LOL
- Laziness: I’ve gotten lazy (not hearing the 5:45am alarm anymore) but still hear the paper guy’s car at 6:00am every morning. Sleeping in IS nice, but I sadly miss some of that routine – I will be revising myself to get back up and write! Especially when the peeking sun & tweeting birds call me…
- Reading & shopping: Katie (lovely sweet lady from work) gave me some good advice on how she handled her ‘unemployment’ and I’ve really tried to keep that in mind. I have to admit I have spent (more) than I should; unfortunately had to update my laptop to a desk top (ran out of ram space)… but other shopping ‘excursions’ (ha ha) have been to Goodwill, Value Village and Walmart. Okay, so I’m still frugal (or CHEAP) and I’ve found some great books – sorry Amazon but they are cheaper (Tina Fey’s Bossypants, Elizabeth Gilbert, The Happiness Project, etc.). And, of course, I still look at items thinking of how to use them for PROPS for events (can’t help myself – I even bought a stuffed monkey for a Halloween prop)…
- Self-reflection on job: It’s hard NOT to think about my job (4 years) was a long time for me, and I do miss chatting with some of my colleagues and being around people. But I also self-reflected on my OWN ranting/whining. Like (my sister) I am pretty sure I drove several of my colleagues crazy with my repeated whining (I constantly wondered WHEN they would lay me off/let me go/fire me(?). Sadly it was a place where I definitely felt remorse in being there as well. As much as I made fun of some of the ‘other’ Debbie Downers, I was just as much Debbie too. But now I can laugh and sincerely say – my apologies to those of you who I did constantly whine to, but now I got the answer – they laid me off! LOL But I AM grateful for the four years (they allowed me) and for the fun of several of the events I was able to put together and for some great (friends). I wish them all the sincere best and I hope THEY will smile (and think of those times when I tried to make them laugh) too!
- Creativity: Now that Michael gave me a more ‘formal’ creative/work space (the new desk & cabinets) I will work more on my creativity. Sadly the organized space already is a bit messy, still trying to find a good way of incorporating so many of my decor, craft junk, books/magazines, etc. – I also need to clean up the garage, but when its cold outside, its cold in there too. Michael has also been such an INSPIRATION in allowing me to putz, bake, cook, clean and THINK about what I want to do. Yesterday I stated that: I WANT TO LIVE my SIMPLE, ROMANTIC LIFE and I WANT to creatively blog about it…(and occasionally still do events, which I DO like to do)!
- Travels: As I mentioned earlier, I will be traveling with Michael to the Philippines & Singapore (tagging along for his business trip) – might as well while I have the time. And seriously, why would I miss another international trip opportunity? I’m excited to take tons of photos and see new things.
- Health/Wellness: Although my cooking/baking hasn’t ALL been ‘healthy’ I’ve noticed that apparently SOME of my stress related stomach issues have gotten better. I guess not going into a place where I would internalize so much of my emotions helps? But I do notice more so that I DO need to get back into shape (gotten chubby & clothes look/feel awful) but also having some joint issues (not just from the weight) but AGE! UGH… Walking does give me some meditative time to think and read/analyze my body & head.
- Friendships: I miss not feeling like I’m a part of something (having people around), so I try and get out as much as I can. It’s hard to get friends together, everyone is busy and coordinating equal times isn’t easy. Much easier when you can just head out to Happy Hour right after work. But at least some friends still stay in contact (texts) periodically. I value these ladies and appreciate their support. I also hope A.S. is doing okay and some of her ‘stress’ is manageable? I’ve noticed my own poor daughter is also tremendously stressed with her job and so even our ‘friendship’ seems to be a little lacking… 🙁 But I don’t want to be a nuisance.
- Writing/Blogging: Michael helped me set up the new desktop (with it’s amazing screen) – he literally is such a Geek (lol) that he keeps saying he’s jealous. When he talks about computers, its as bad as when I talk about fast cars. HA HA For me, engine is relevant to storage/speed/access and the screen is relevant to sleek/aerodynamic. SO, that being said; I will start WORKING on reformatting/designing a better blog/web page and he will help me get that set after we return from trip. I DO love writing and sharing (and I hope some of you ‘like’ (hee hee) some of what I add here? Yes, it’s like my journal, but I do love it!
So, sun is FINALLY peeking back out (we had more rain again this morning, Sunday Feb. 21st) so I couldn’t finish my yard work/outdoor chores.
Thank you for reading and for being here for me!